Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

Streaming platform Shahid to drive growth, says MBC TV

MBC Shahid Ashghal Shaqa Shahid
Ashghal Shaqa, or 'Apartment Chronicles', the most popular show on the Shahid streaming platform
  • Subscriptions grow 40% in 2023
  • Nearly four million subscribers
  • Net profit for 2023 up 45%

The Arabic TV network MBC says its new Shahid streaming platform will lead its growth after subscriptions grew 40 percent in 2023 to nearly four million. 

The Saudi-owned group recently completed an IPO on the Saudi stock exchange, requiring it to open its books to the public for the first time. 

It reported net profit in 2023 of only SAR69 million ($18 million), a 45 percent increase on the previous year. 



MBC’s CEO Sam Barnett told the Saudi Arabian financial news portal Argaam that the improvement was partly due to Shahid’s “outstanding performance”, including an increase in subscribers and digital advertising. 

“We also managed to significantly reduce Shahid’s net losses, which further enhanced our bottom line,” he said. 

In an interview last week with MBC Group-owned Al Arabiya TV Barnett described Shahid as MBC’s “growth mechanism”, with growing consumer appetite for on-demand content and the platform’s ability to cater to what he called niche markets. 

Barnett said MBC would convert its subscription and viewership gains during Ramadan into long-term customers, using data analytics to develop targeted content and focusing on non-Gulf Arabic markets. 

MBC set up Shahid in 2020 after the success of the streaming service Netflix, and both currently air the region’s top dramas. 

Last month MBC Group acquired a 14 percent stake in the Abu Dhabi-based music streaming company Anghami to expand its foothold in the media streaming market, tap into Anghami’s younger demographic and promote its own content libraries. 

Barnett said MBC was building a new production complex in the Al-Narjis area of north Riyadh, including three film and five TV studios. MBC said last year that it would use the IPO proceeds to repay loans and develop more content for Shahid. 

MBC, established more than 30 years ago, is one of the largest media and entertainment companies in the Middle East and North Africa. 

Founder and chairman Waleed Al Ibrahim owns 40 percent, while Al Istedamah Holding, which is controlled by the Saudi finance ministry, owns the remaining 60 percent. 

Latest articles

Investment app Sarwa had more than 180,000 registered users by the first quarter of 2023

Investment app Sarwa fined by Dubai and Abu Dhabi regulators

Investment platform Sarwa Digital Wealth has been fined AED1,151,000 ($313,500) by regulators in Dubai and Abu Dhabi for offering shares and securities without an approved prospectus. The Dubai Financial Services Authority (DFSA) said on Tuesday that it had imposed a penalty of AED701,815 on the fintech.  On the same day, the Financial Services Regulatory Authority […]

UK Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said the pledge ' sets a precedent for global standards on AI safety'

UAE joins AI safety pledge at UK-South Korea summit

Two artificial intelligence companies from the UAE have signed up to a new AI safety pledge and have committed to safe development of the technology. Abu Dhabi’s Technology Innovation Institute and G42 are among 16 names on the safety pledge that also includes Amazon, Google, IBM, Meta, Microsoft, OpenAI and Samsung. The announcement was made […]

Turkey FAB Yapi Kredi

First Abu Dhabi Bank targets Turkish lender

One of Turkey’s largest corporations has confirmed it is in talks with First Abu Dhabi Bank (FAB) over the sale of a majority holding in the Istanbul-headquartered lender Yapı Kredi, the country’s fourth largest private bank in terms of assets.  A report by Reuters on May 21 said sources told it FAB was offering around […]

Bruno Le Maire said France was also ready to help the UAE develop its own nuclear power plants

France ‘open’ to UAE investing in its nuclear plants

The French government is open to the UAE investing in the country’s nuclear power sector, its economy minister has said. Bruno Le Maire spoke to journalists in Abu Dhabi ahead of talks with Sultan Al Jaber, the UAE minister of industry and advanced technology, and Khaldoon Al Mubarak, chief executive of investment fund Mubadala and […]