Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

MBC raises $390m with oversubscribed IPO

MBC offers a range of content across its channels, and secured exclusive rights to airing the FIA Formula One World Championship until 2023. USA Today Sports
MBC offers a range of content across its channels, and secured exclusive rights to airing the FIA Formula One World Championship until 2023
  • Oversubscribed by 17.6%
  • Raised SAR1.46bn
  • Proceeds to pay debt and invest

Saudi media company MBC Group’s IPO on the Saudi stock exchange was 17.6 times oversubscribed, raising SAR1.46 billion ($390 million). 

A minimum of nine shares were allocated to each subscriber and the remaining shares were distributed pro rata, according to a statement on stock market website Tadawul by lead manager and advisor HSBC Saudi Arabia, along with bookrunner and underwriters JP Morgan Saudi Arabia and SNB Capital. 

“Each investor received an additional allocation of one share in a descending order starting with the highest demand until such shares were totally exhausted,” the statement said. 

The MBC IPO began on December 14 and ended on December 18 for 10 percent of share capital, offering 3.325 million shares at SAR13.50 per share. It was open to Saudi nationals, foreign residents and GCC nationals. 

The pan-Arab broadcaster, which is moving its headquarters from Dubai to Riyadh, says the net proceeds will be used to repay outstanding loans, boost working capital, content development for its video streaming platform Shahid and investment in new initiatives. 

Established more than 30 years ago, MBC is one of the largest media and entertainment companies in the Middle East and North Africa. Its content reaches 150 million people every week. 

The company is split between finance ministry-owned Al Istedamah Holding with a 60 percent stake and founder and chairman Waleed Al Ibrahim, who owns the remaining 40 percent. 

Listings on Mena stock markets slowed during the third quarter, but analysts remain upbeat for 2024 despite concerns over the Israel-Gaza conflict. 

There were six IPOs in the third quarter of 2023, raising $523 million in total. This was a 14 percent drop in volume and a 66 percent slump in proceeds compared to a year earlier. Five out of six in the third quarter were in Saudi Arabia.

There have been 29 IPOs so far this year in the region, according to Ernst & Young’s Mena IPO Eye. Total proceeds stand at $5.8 billion, down 6 percent in volume and 61 percent in funds raised year on year.

Latest articles

The WakeCap system being used on a construction site

Aramco adopts heat-sensing construction helmets

Saudi Aramco is deploying advanced safety helmets equipped with heat stress sensors to protect workers on some of its construction sites, a critical concern in the Gulf region’s scorching climate. The helmets, developed by Dubai and Saudi Arabia-based construction tech startup WakeCap, utilise internet-of-things (IoT) technology that monitors worker attendance, location, and safety incidents in […]

Wind turbines above the village of Kotronas in the Peloponnese region. Greece's Terna Energy invests in wind, solar, hydroelectric and pumped storage projects

Masdar buys Greece’s biggest investor in renewables

The UAE’s state-owned clean energy company Masdar is to acquire a majority share in Terna Energy of Greece. The initial deal – one of the largest in the European renewables market and the biggest ever energy transaction on the Athens Stock Exchange – is for a 67 percent stake. The price of €20 ($21.45) per […]

KBR Iraq

US firm wins $46m contract to boost Iraq infrastructure 

US engineering giant KBR has won a five-year $46 million contract to support Iraq’s infrastructure development and future energy projects, including mega-projects. The company is expanding its presence in Iraq, establishing a new office in Baghdad and said it is also considering the creation of a design centre to enhance local engineering skills. Under the […]

The UAE attracted FDI inflows of $30.7 billion last year, a 35 percent year-on-year growth

UAE ranks second in global greenfield FDI projects

A 33 percent year-on-year surge in greenfield FDI projects in the UAE catapulted the Emirates up two places to the second spot after the US in 2023. There are now 1,323 greenfield FDI project announcements, state-run Wam news agency reported, citing the World Investment Report 2024. The UAE attracted FDI inflows of $30.7 billion last […]