Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

Drake & Scull International shares up by 24% as trading resumes

The twisted Cayan Tower in Dubai Marina is among Drake & Scull's projects Alamy via Reuters
The twisted Cayan Tower in Dubai Marina is among Drake & Scull's projects
  • DSI share price up a quarter
  • Trading was halted in 2018
  • Relisting sold $123m of shares

Shares in Drake & Scull International rose by 24 percent on Wednesday as the troubled contractor resumed trading on Dubai Financial Market following a six-year suspension.

DSI stock ended Wednesday at AED0.31, having started the day at AED0.25 – the price at which it sold AED450 million ($123 million) of shares earlier this month as part of a company restructuring.

The company previously raised AED1.2 billion in a 2008 initial public offering priced at AED1 per share that sold 55 percent of its stock.



Trading in DSI’s stock was halted in 2018 after its losses exceeded 75 percent of its capital.

Following a heated legal battle that almost resulted in the contractor being liquidated, creditors and shareholders approved a restructuring plan last April and a court formally cleared it in November.

The plan included the write-off of 90 percent of debts while the remaining 10 percent would be funnelled into a sukuk, or sharia-compliant bond.

A bourse filing on Monday said DSI has a project backlog estimated to be worth AED638 million ($173 million), which is to be completed from this year through to 2028.

“It is important to highlight that the operations are being depleted due to the inability to win new projects as well as the significant liabilities on its books,” the bourse statement said.

Nevertheless, the company is projecting revenues of AED315 million this year and for that to hit more than AED3 billion by the end of 2029. It is due to relaunch operations in the third quarter.

Latest articles

Opec Secretary General Haitham Al Ghais says peak oil 'is not on the horizon'

Upstream oil and gas ‘needs more annual investment’

Annual capital expenditure for exploration and production in the upstream sector of the oil industry needs to increase by 22 percent by 2030 because of growing demand and cost inflation, experts say. A cumulative $4.3 trillion needs to be invested between 2025 and 2030, according to a report by the International Energy Forum (IEF) and […]

Rothschild Saudi

Edmond de Rothschild to run funding vehicle for Saudi projects

The Edmond de Rothschild Group is establishing a funding vehicle for infrastructure projects in Saudi Arabia along with the local firm SNB Capital, as part of a deal in which the Swiss investment bank will set up offices in the country.  Saudi Arabia’s massive economic diversification programme has run into financial obstacles as it faces […]

Turkey foreign property sales

Foreigners turning back on Turkish real estate

Foreign buyers are increasingly shunning the Turkish property market, wary of high prices, the expensive cost of living and a less welcoming environment for overseas real estate investors. There were only 2,064 residential units sold to foreign buyers in May, 35 percent down on the same month last year, data issued by the state statistics […]

2KEY8G1 Emirates Airline Airbus A380 aircraft landing. Aerial view of Emirates Airlines A380-800 airplane. An Emirates plane coming in to land at LAX; a spokesperson for Emirates said the contraventions were for safety reasons

US fines Emirates for operating in prohibited airspace

Emirates has been fined $1.5 million by the US Transportation Department for operating flights carrying JetBlue Airways’ JBLU.O designator code in prohibited airspace. The transportation department said that between December 2021 and August 2022, Emirates operated a significant number of flights carrying the JetBlue Airways code between the United Arab Emirates and the United States […]