Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

DSI claims bumper revenues to come before it resumes trading

DSI's project include the Louvre Abu Dhabi. Its backlog is reported to be worth AED638 million Alamy via Reuters
DSI's projects include the Louvre Abu Dhabi. Its backlog is reported to be worth AED638 million
  • DSI expects 10-fold revenue rise
  • Return to trading imminent
  • Share price down to AED0.25

Dubai’s Drake & Scull International is forecasting a more than tenfold increase in revenues between this year and the end of 2029 as the troubled contractor prepares to return to trading on Dubai Financial Market.

Trading in the utilities and infrastructure engineering company’s shares came to a halt in November 2018 when DSI disclosed losses exceeding 75 percent of its capital.

The resumption on Wednesday will mark the next step on a restructuring journey for the company.

Shares will be priced at AED0.25, down from the AED0.37 price when they last traded. 



A bourse filing on Monday said DSI has a project backlog estimated to be worth AED638 million ($173 million), which is to be completed from this year through to 2028.

“It is important to highlight that the operations are being depleted due to the inability to win new projects as well as the significant liabilities on its books,” the bourse statement said.

Nevertheless, the company is projecting revenues of AED315 million this year and for that to hit more than AED3 billion by the end of 2029. It is due to relaunch operations in the third quarter.

Gross profit is also expected to rise sharply, from AED16 million this year to AED384 million in five years’ time.

Ebitda is forecast to turn round from a AED69 million deficit this year to AED184 million in the black over the same time period.

After a heated legal battle that almost resulted in the company being liquidated, creditors and shareholders approved a restructuring plan last April and a court formally cleared it in November.

A fresh issuance of shares raised AED454 million. Under the recovery plan, 90 percent of debts were written off, which achieved a capital gain of AED3.4 billion. The remaining 10 percent raised AED365 million through a mandatory convertible sukuk.

Reversing accrued interest expenses and provisions for legal cases is believed to have saved in the region of AED414 million.

The statement said this would be reflected in the company’s Q2 financial results, leading to an overall equity improvement of around AED4.6 billion.

Latest articles

Shoppers choose vegetables in Istanbul; inflation means people are spending on essentials

Turkish retailers’ confidence wavers as inflation bites

Confidence is falling among Turkish retailers, according to a survey from the country’s statistics agency Turkstat. Shoppers have been scaling back on big-ticket purchases, spending instead on basic consumer goods as inflation piles pressure on household incomes. May’s business confidence report, released by Turkstat on June 24, showed sentiment in the retail sector at its […]

Water is handed out to pilgrims in Mecca. Hundreds of pilgrims without a Hajj permit died during extreme heat last week

Egypt shuts down 16 travel companies after Hajj tragedy

Egypt has withdrawn the operating licences of 16 travel companies for organising unlicensed Hajj trips to Saudi Arabia. A statement from the Egyptian government said the companies would be prosecuted and fined, with the funds used to compensate pilgrims’ families for their loss.  Hundreds of Egyptians were among 1,301 people who died of exposure to […]

A floating production unit in Israel's Karish gas field in the eastern Mediterranean. Carlyle is creating a new oil and gas company to manage the field

New Carlyle entity to manage East Med gas projects

Carlyle, the Nasdaq-listed private equity company, is creating a new oil and gas company to manage recently-acquired assets in the Mediterranean hydrocarbons market. The new as yet un-named entity will be led by former BP CEO Tony Hayward and will manage a portfolio of gas-weighted exploration and production assets in Italy, Egypt and Croatia, according […]

Spinneys plans to open another 12 stores in Saudi Arabia by 2028

Spinneys opens first Saudi supermarket in Riyadh

Spinneys has opened its first supermarket in Saudi Arabia and is planning a further 12 stores in the country by 2028. The UAE supermarket operator listed on the Dubai Financial Market last month and raised AED1.38 billion ($375.7 million) from its initial public offering, which was oversubscribed almost 64 times. The first Spinneys in Saudi […]