Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

PIF launches company to drive Saudi EV charging

Machine, Spoke, Alloy Wheel Unsplash.com/ Michael Fousert
The new company plans to establish a presence in more than 1,000 locations, installing over 5,000 fast chargers by 2030

The Public Investment Fund (PIF) and Saudi Electricity Company (SEC) have launched a new company to deliver electric vehicle (EV) fast-charging infrastructure in Saudi Arabia.

The Saudi sovereign fund will own 75 percent of the Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Company, while the kingdom’s utility provider will hold the remaining 25 percent stake.

The new company plans to establish a presence in more than 1,000 locations, installing over 5,000 fast chargers by 2030 in cities across the kingdom through collaboration with EV companies.

It also aims to promote private sector participation in developing its charging station network.

Lucid Group last month opened its first international manufacturing plant in the newly-launched King Abdullah Economic City (KAEC) special economic zone.

The US-based EV maker, backed by the PIF, announced plans for the factory last year as the kingdom signed an agreement to buy up to 100,000 vehicles for over 10 years.

PIF owns 60.2 percent of Lucid, with its investments reaching $5.4 billion since 2018.

Saudi Arabian investment company Energy Capital Group announced a collaboration with US tech startup Pure Lithium to develop renewable batteries last month.

The Saudi ministry of industry and mineral resources in June granted an industrial licence to Ceer, the first local automotive brand to produce EVs, to build its manufacturing facility in KAEC’s Industrial Valley.

Latest articles

Opec Secretary General Haitham Al Ghais says peak oil 'is not on the horizon'

Upstream oil and gas ‘needs more annual investment’

Annual capital expenditure for exploration and production in the upstream sector of the oil industry needs to increase by 22 percent by 2030 because of growing demand and cost inflation, experts say. A cumulative $4.3 trillion needs to be invested between 2025 and 2030, according to a report by the International Energy Forum (IEF) and […]

Rothschild Saudi

Edmond de Rothschild to run funding vehicle for Saudi projects

The Edmond de Rothschild Group is establishing a funding vehicle for infrastructure projects in Saudi Arabia along with the local firm SNB Capital, as part of a deal in which the Swiss investment bank will set up offices in the country.  Saudi Arabia’s massive economic diversification programme has run into financial obstacles as it faces […]

Turkey foreign property sales

Foreigners turning back on Turkish real estate

Foreign buyers are increasingly shunning the Turkish property market, wary of high prices, the expensive cost of living and a less welcoming environment for overseas real estate investors. There were only 2,064 residential units sold to foreign buyers in May, 35 percent down on the same month last year, data issued by the state statistics […]

2KEY8G1 Emirates Airline Airbus A380 aircraft landing. Aerial view of Emirates Airlines A380-800 airplane. An Emirates plane coming in to land at LAX; a spokesperson for Emirates said the contraventions were for safety reasons

US fines Emirates for operating in prohibited airspace

Emirates has been fined $1.5 million by the US Transportation Department for operating flights carrying JetBlue Airways’ JBLU.O designator code in prohibited airspace. The transportation department said that between December 2021 and August 2022, Emirates operated a significant number of flights carrying the JetBlue Airways code between the United Arab Emirates and the United States […]