Industry EU sets deadline for Arcelik and Whirlpool deal By Reuters September 22, 2023 REUTERS/Daniel Becerril The EU competition watchdog can either clear the deal with or without seeking remedies after its preliminary review European Union (EU) antitrust regulators will decide by October 23 whether to clear Turkish domestic appliances maker Arcelik’s proposed purchase of Whirlpool’s European domestic appliances business, an European Commission filing showed on Thursday. Under the deal announced in January, the companies will set up a new entity made up of Arcelik’s European units such as major domestic appliances, small domestic appliances and consumer electronics and Whirlpool’s European business. Arcelik will own 75 percent of the company and Whirlpool the remaining 25 percent. The EU competition watchdog can either clear the deal with or without seeking remedies after its preliminary review or it can open a four-month investigation if it has serious concerns. The UK competition agency is also assessing the deal, with a decision due by September 28. Whirlpool’s brands include Ariston, 34 Indesit, Hotpoint, Ignis, Privileg, Bauknecht, Polar, and Laden, while Arcelik’s brands are Beko, Blomberg, Arctic, Altus, Grundig, Flavel, Leisure, Zenith, and Elektrabregenz.