Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

Dewa and Masdar secure funding for sixth phase of solar park

The sixth phase will see the total production capacity of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park increase to 4,660 MW by 2026 Dubai Media Office
The sixth phase will see the total production capacity of Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park increase to 4,660 MW by 2026

Dubai Electricity and Water Authority (Dewa) and Abu Dhabi’s renewable energy major Masdar have achieved the financial closing of the 1,800-megawatt (MW) sixth phase of the Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum Solar Park.

The funding has been jointly provided by Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank, Commercial Bank of Dubai, First Abu Dhabi Bank, HSBC, Standard Chartered Bank, Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank and Warba Bank, the UAE state-run news agency Wam reported.

Masdar was selected as the preferred bidder to build and operate the sixth phase of the solar park using photovoltaic solar panels based on the independent power producer model, at a cost of AED5.5 billion ($1.50 billion).

This phase will provide clean energy for 540,000 residences and reduce emissions by around 2.4 million tonnes of carbon a year. The project will cover an area of 20 sq km.

The sixth phase has achieved the lowest levelised cost of energy of $1.6 cents per kilowatt hour in the solar park.

The sixth phase will mean the total production capacity of the solar park increases to 4,660 MW by 2026.

Dewa established Shuaa Energy 4 in partnership with Masdar to develop the sixth phase. The Dubai-listed utility provider owns 60 percent of the company, while Masdar owns the remaining 40 percent.

The current production capacity at the solar park is 2,627 MW, with the total capacity under construction at 2,033 MW. The park will produce more than 5,000 MW by 2030 at an investment cost of AED50 billion.

Latest articles

Alstom's upgraded passenger transit system will help reduce emissions at King Abdulaziz International Airport

Alstom to upgrade driverless transit system at Jeddah airport

French train maker Alstom will upgrade the automated and driverless passenger transit system at King Abdulaziz International Airport, as the Jeddah airport aims to receive 114 million passengers by 2030. As part of the contract, Alstom will design, engineer, supply, integrate, test and commission a complete system upgrade of its Innovia automated people mover (APM) at the airport’s terminal […]

Waste To Energy Biogas plant with solar, battery station and E-car charging station

African renewables are ripe for investment, says Irena

Africa accounted for less than 1 percent of the new renewable energy sources added globally last year, and a conference in Abu Dhabi this week called on wealthy investors to help the continent achieve its targets. Amani Abu Zeid, commissioner for infrastructure and energy of the African Union Commission, told the International Renewable Energy Agency […]

Saudi Arabia Ronnie O'Sullivan snooker

Ronnie O’Sullivan to be Saudi snooker ambassador

Saudi Arabia has signed a deal with the world’s top snooker player, Ronnie O’Sullivan, for him to act as an “ambassador” for the sport in Saudi Arabia.  It was announced alongside news that Saudi Arabia has become an official sponsor of the World Snooker Championship that begins this weekend in Sheffield, UK. Under the three-year […]

UAE Costa Rica Cepa

Costa Rica added to UAE economic partners

The UAE has signed a comprehensive economic partnership agreement with Costa Rica, the latest in a string of trade deals around the world over the past two years. It is the first time the South American country has signed an agreement with a Middle Eastern country. The agreement will improve trade flows between the two […]