Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

PIF-backed Eviq plans to deploy 5,000 EV chargers

Eviq has opened its first EV charging research and development facility in Riyadh SPA
Eviq has opened its first EV charging research and development facility in Riyadh

Saudi Arabia has opened its first research and development facility to establish the country’s electric vehicle (EV) fast-charging infrastructure.

Electric Vehicle Infrastructure Company (Eviq) – the newly launched joint venture between the Public Investment Fund (PIF) and Saudi Electricity Company – opened the facility in Riyadh.

The company is on track to deploy 5,000 chargers across 1,000 locations by 2030.

The facility will be used for testing a spectrum of chargers and software to ensure the deployment of high-quality equipment and related software, driving the evolution in the EV sector across the Kingdom, state-run SPA news agency reported.

“This facility is a cornerstone in our strategy to support Vision 2030,” Eviq chief executive Mohammad Bakr Gazzaz said.

“By focusing on top-quality charger deployment and ensuring compatibility with a range of EVs, we are paving the way for the growth of a sustainable and advanced EV ecosystem in Saudi Arabia.”

The Saudi sovereign fund owns 75 percent of the company, which was launched in October. The kingdom’s utility provider holds the remaining 25 percent stake.

Lucid Group, which is  60.2 percent owned by PIF, opened its first international manufacturing plant in the newly-launched King Abdullah Economic City (KAEC) special economic zone in September.

The US-based EV maker announced plans for the factory last year as the kingdom signed an agreement to buy up to 100,000 vehicles over a decade.

Earlier in June, the Saudi ministry of industry and mineral resources granted an industrial licence to Ceer, the first local automotive brand to produce EVs, to build its manufacturing facility in KAEC’s Industrial Valley.

Latest articles

Properties overlooking the bay in Muscat. Property prices in the capital fell more than 5 percent

Oman’s real estate sector continues to slide

Apartment prices in Oman dropped more than 17 percent in the first quarter of 2024, while villa prices rose a meagre 0.8 percent, according to the latest government figures. Residential real estate prices were down across the board quarter on quarter, including those for land. The Musandam region recorded the largest overall decline at 15.7 […]

Shoppers choose vegetables in Istanbul; inflation means people are spending on essentials

Turkish retailers’ confidence wavers as inflation bites

Confidence is falling among Turkish retailers, according to a survey from the country’s statistics agency Turkstat. Shoppers have been scaling back on big-ticket purchases, spending instead on basic consumer goods as inflation piles pressure on household incomes. May’s business confidence report, released by Turkstat on June 24, showed sentiment in the retail sector at its […]

Water is handed out to pilgrims in Mecca. Hundreds of pilgrims without a Hajj permit died during extreme heat last week

Egypt shuts down 16 travel companies after Hajj tragedy

Egypt has withdrawn the operating licences of 16 travel companies for organising unlicensed Hajj trips to Saudi Arabia. A statement from the Egyptian government said the companies would be prosecuted and fined, with the funds used to compensate pilgrims’ families for their loss.  Hundreds of Egyptians were among 1,301 people who died of exposure to […]

A floating production unit in Israel's Karish gas field in the eastern Mediterranean. Carlyle is creating a new oil and gas company to manage the field

New Carlyle entity to manage East Med gas projects

Carlyle, the Nasdaq-listed private equity company, is creating a new oil and gas company to manage recently-acquired assets in the Mediterranean hydrocarbons market. The new as yet un-named entity will be led by former BP CEO Tony Hayward and will manage a portfolio of gas-weighted exploration and production assets in Italy, Egypt and Croatia, according […]