Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

New PIF company to hold world’s largest-ever carbon credit auction

Engine, Machine, Motor REUTERS/Mike Hutchings
The auction will involve one million tons of carbon credits and will offer high-quality credits

Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund (PIF) has established the Regional Voluntary Carbon Market Company to support businesses and industries in the region to achieve ‘net zero’ goals.

PIF will hold an 80 percent stake, while Saudi Tadawul Group Holding Company will own the remaining  20 percent, the sovereign wealth fund said in a statement.

The Riyadh headquartered company will help facilitate the world’s largest-ever carbon credit auction on October 25.

The auction will involve one million tons of carbon credits and will offer high-quality credits, including Corsia-compliant, Verra-registered certificates.

Yazeed A. Al-Humied, deputy governor and head of MENA investments at PIF, said that the company will play an important role in the fund’s wider efforts to drive investment and innovation required to address the impact of climate change and support Saudi Arabia’s efforts to achieve net zero by 2060.

“With an expected one million tons of carbon credits available to trade, we predict that our auction will be the largest carbon credit auction to date,” said Riham ElGizy, director of VCM Initiative. 

PIF, which supports the kingdom’s green agenda, recently completed its $3 billion green bond issuance as part of its efforts to develop 70 percent of the country’s renewable energy capacity.

Latest articles

An artist's impression of part of the Diriyah Square development

Diriyah Square planned for historic Riyadh district

A public space featuring 400 retail outlets and 100 restaurants and cafes is planned for the historic Riyadh district of Diriyah. Diriyah Square will be announced next week at the World Retail Congress in Paris and aims to attract a combination of international retail brands and local artisans.  Diriyah Gate Development Authority group CEO Jerry […]

Nature, Undersea cables account for as much as 90 percent of Europe-Asia telecommunications, Water

Iraq and Kuwait team up for European telecom corridor

Iraq’s Informatics and Telecommunication Public Company, a division of the Ministry of Communications, has signed an agreement with Kuwait’s Zajil Telecom to create a telecommunications corridor from the Gulf region to Europe, transiting through Iraq and Turkey. The new route will pass through Iraqi sea and land ports. Iraq’s minister of communications Hayam Al-Yasiri said […]

Passengers at Beijing Capital International Airport. Air China will fly from the airport to Riyadh three times a week.

Third Chinese airline to launch flights to Saudi Arabia

Air China is set to begin flights to Riyadh in May, becoming the third Chinese airline to establish a route to Saudi Arabia. It joins China Southern and Eastern Airlines in connecting China with the kingdom.  Air China’s Airbus A330-300 will serve the Beijing-Riyadh route three times a week. The expansion in capacity between the […]

Turkish crude steel output rose 25% year on year to 3.2 million tonnes in January

Turkish steel in the black but EU rules rankle

Turkey’s steel industry has rebounded strongly from a weak 2023, despite facing new emissions standards and competition for important markets.  Crude steel output rose 25 percent year on year to 3.2 million tonnes in January, with domestic consumption of finished steel reaching 3.5 million tonnes, a 20 percent increase.  Exports were also up, increasing 23 […]