Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

TotalEnergies to invest $1.5bn in Qatar’s gas expansion project

Qatar News Agency
TotalEnergies will hold a 9.375 percent stake in the project out of a total 25 percent interest available for international partners.

France’s TotalEnergies will invest nearly $1.5 billion in Qatar’s North Field South (NFS) gas expansion project, Qatar News Agency reported.

State-owned QatarEnergy has selected TotalEnergies as the first international partner in the North Field South (NFS) expansion project.

TotalEnergies will hold a 9.375 percent stake in the project out of a total 25 percent interest available for international partners, while QatarEnergy will have the remaining 75 percent interest.

The project comprises two liquefied natural gas (LNG) mega trains with a combined capacity of 16 million tons per annum (MTPA), which will raise Qatar’s total LNG export capacity to 126 MTPA.

TotalEnergies chairman and CEO Patrick Pouyanne called on European companies to conclude LNG agreements, expecting that demand for gas will rise between 2025-2027.

In June, TotalEnergies was the first company to acquire a stake in the North Field East project in Qatar and owns 6.25 percent of the 33 million tons annually project, with a development cost of $28.75 billion.

The field will start production in 2026 and add more than 48 MTPA to the world’s LNG supplies.    

Latest articles

A welder at work in Ras Al Kaimah. The northern emirates will benefit from lower electricity tariffs under a new scheme for local manufacturers in the UAE

UAE to direct additional $6bn to local manufacturers

The UAE is to direct an additional AED23 billion ($6.3 billion) to local manufacturers as it strives to develop its homegrown sectors and diversify its economy away from a reliance on hydrocarbons. Abu Dhabi state oil company Adnoc will expand its local manufacturing procurement programme for critical industrial products by AED20 billion to AED90 billion […]

Workers at a Riyadh construction site. The Tonomus competition aims to find innovation in the sector

Saudi Arabia races to find technologies for futuristic cities

Saudi Arabia is urgently seeking new technologies for its construction and real estate sectors as it races to make good on its pledge to build futuristic multi-billion-dollar cities. Tonomus, a subsidiary of crown prince Mohammed bin Salman’s $500 billion signature Neom development, has joined forces with the Public Investment Fund to launch a competition offering […]

Riyadh Air Comac C919

Riyadh Air not buying from China’s Comac ‘for now’

Riyadh Air, Saudi Arabia’s new national carrier, will not consider China’s Comac for its narrowbody order to be announced later this year. However, the airline said it saw a future in Saudi Arabia for Comac, the Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China, as the Chinese alternative to Boeing and Airbus.  “The narrowbody order is in its […]

Organisations have protested US investment bank BlackRock’s participation in the bid to buy a stake in Malaysia Airports Holdings

Malaysian airport deal faces Gaza war backlash

Plans by a consortium, including the UAE’s largest sovereign wealth fund, to buy a stake in Malaysian airports have been hit by protests against the deal from local business organisations in the Asian country. As many as 22 organisations have called upon the Malaysian government to block US investment bank BlackRock’s participation in the bid […]