Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

UAE investors join Olam Agri’s $625m Islamic facility

Singapore's Olam Group said Islamic financing gave it access to a new investor pool Unsplash.com/Raphael Rychetsky
Singapore's Olam Group said Islamic financing gave it access to a new investor pool

Investors from the UAE are part of a global consortium providing Singapore’s Olam Group with a $625 million sharia-compliant financing facility.

Other investors are from Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong, the company said in a statement. Names of the investors were not disclosed.

The facility, initially guaranteed by Olam Group, will transfer to Olam Agri after the planned initial public offering (IPO) and demerger of Olam Agri. The proceeds will be used for general corporate purposes.



Olam Group CFO N Muthukumar said that Islamic financing further diversified the group’s funding mix, giving it access to a new investor pool.

Olam Agri is 64.6 percent owned by Olam Group, with the remaining 35.4 percent held by Saudi Agricultural and Livestock Investment Company (SALIC).

The wholly owned unit of the Public Investment Fund acquired the stake for $1.2 billion in March 2022. 

Last month Olam Group ruled out listing its agricultural unit on the Saudi stock exchange in the first half of 2024.

A dual IPO on the stock exchanges of Singapore and Saudi Arabia would make Olam Agri the first company to list in both countries and also the first non-Gulf Cooperation Council-incorporated business to list in Saudi Arabia.

Latest articles

Tourism to contribute $64bn to UAE’s economy in 2024

The tourism sector’s contribution to the UAE’s economy is expected to reach AED236 billion ($64 billion) in 2024, accounting for 12 percent of the overall GDP, a senior government official has said.  The sector contributed AED220 billion to the GDP last year, accounting for almost 12 percent of the overall economy, Khaled Al Midfa, chairman of Sharjah […]

Helmet, Adult, Male

Saudi Aramco’s $10bn share sale slated for next month

Saudi Aramco’s anticipated share sale is expected to take place next month, according to a media report. The offering is projected to raise nearly $10 billion and will be listed on the local stock exchange, Reuters reported, citing unnamed informed sources.  The sources said details may still change, but the process continues. In September 2023, […]

Indoors, Restaurant, Cafeteria

Hong Kong’s airport lounge operator targets Saudi expansion

Hong Kong’s airport lounge operator, Plaza Premium Group (PPG), has earmarked $100 million to expand across the Middle East, focusing on Saudi Arabia. The regional expansion is part of its three-year $300 million global expansion plan. The funds will be allocated to opening lounges, establishing an airport concierge service with white-glove service, opening innovative dining outlets and exploring […]

Russians Turkey Istanbul Bridge

Russians rush from Turkey as costs and restrictions bite

Rising costs, increased difficulties in obtaining residency permits and tighter enforcement of restrictions on the number of foreign nationals who can live in popular regions are prompting an exodus of Russian citizens from Turkey.  The number of Russian nationals holding Turkish residence permits has plunged to just over 96,000 as of May 16, down from […]