Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

Malaysian airport deal faces Gaza war backlash

Organisations have protested US investment bank BlackRock’s participation in the bid to buy a stake in Malaysia Airports Holdings Malaysian Airline/X
Organisations have protested US investment bank BlackRock’s participation in the bid to buy a stake in Malaysia Airports Holdings
  • Malaysia Airports Holdings bid
  • US bank BlackRock in consortium
  • Protesters allege Israel links

Plans by a consortium, including the UAE’s largest sovereign wealth fund, to buy a stake in Malaysian airports have been hit by protests against the deal from local business organisations in the Asian country.

As many as 22 organisations have called upon the Malaysian government to block US investment bank BlackRock’s participation in the bid to buy a stake in Malaysia Airports Holdings (MAHB), Reuters reported, citing the group’s statement.



The group, which includes the Malaysian Consultative Council of Islamic Organisations and Viva Palestina Malaysia, urged the state-backed Employees Provident Fund (EPF), a consortium partner, to break ties with BlackRock, alleging the bank’s relations with Israel.

In addition to BlackRock, some of the other partners in the consortium are Malaysian government-backed Khazanah Nasional, UAE’s Abu Dhabi Investment Authority (ADIA) and Global Infrastructure Partners (GIP), which has its headquarters in New York.

BlackRock said in January that it planned to buy GIP for $12.5 billion.

If the deal is completed, the Malaysian entities will collectively own 70 percent of MAHB. The UAE’s largest sovereign wealth fund ADIA and GIP will hold the remaining 30 percent.

Latest articles

Opec Secretary General Haitham Al Ghais says peak oil 'is not on the horizon'

Upstream oil and gas ‘needs more annual investment’

Annual capital expenditure for exploration and production in the upstream sector of the oil industry needs to increase by 22 percent by 2030 because of growing demand and cost inflation, experts say. A cumulative $4.3 trillion needs to be invested between 2025 and 2030, according to a report by the International Energy Forum (IEF) and […]

Rothschild Saudi

Edmond de Rothschild to run funding vehicle for Saudi projects

The Edmond de Rothschild Group is establishing a funding vehicle for infrastructure projects in Saudi Arabia along with the local firm SNB Capital, as part of a deal in which the Swiss investment bank will set up offices in the country.  Saudi Arabia’s massive economic diversification programme has run into financial obstacles as it faces […]

Turkey foreign property sales

Foreigners turning back on Turkish real estate

Foreign buyers are increasingly shunning the Turkish property market, wary of high prices, the expensive cost of living and a less welcoming environment for overseas real estate investors. There were only 2,064 residential units sold to foreign buyers in May, 35 percent down on the same month last year, data issued by the state statistics […]

2KEY8G1 Emirates Airline Airbus A380 aircraft landing. Aerial view of Emirates Airlines A380-800 airplane. An Emirates plane coming in to land at LAX; a spokesperson for Emirates said the contraventions were for safety reasons

US fines Emirates for operating in prohibited airspace

Emirates has been fined $1.5 million by the US Transportation Department for operating flights carrying JetBlue Airways’ JBLU.O designator code in prohibited airspace. The transportation department said that between December 2021 and August 2022, Emirates operated a significant number of flights carrying the JetBlue Airways code between the United Arab Emirates and the United States […]