Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

Presight takes majority stake in Adnoc-G42 AI venture

UAE minister of industry and advanced technology and Adnoc group CEO Dr Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber (top centre) will become chairman of AIQ Wam
Adnoc group CEO Dr Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber (top centre) will become chairman of AIQ
  • Acquisition values AIQ at $1.4bn
  • Sultan Al Jaber to become chairman
  • AI applications for energy industry

The data analytics company Presight is acquiring a majority stake in AIQ, a joint venture between Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (Adnoc) and G42.

Under the agreement, Presight, an Abu Dhabi-listed company, will own 51 percent of AIQ, with Adnoc keeping the remaining 49 percent, a statement released on Wednesday said. 

Previously, G42 held 40 percent of the shares, while Adnoc held 60 percent.



Given Presight’s current market value, the arrangement will value AIQ at more than $1.4 billion.

AIQ will continue operating as a standalone company, with Dr Sultan Ahmed Al Jaber, Minister of Industry and Advanced Technology and Adnoc’s managing director and group CEO, assuming the role of chairman. 

Mansoor Al Mansoori, chairman of Presight, will serve as vice-chairman. Al Mansoori is also a member of the Abu Dhabi Executive Council and chairman of the Department of Health, Abu Dhabi.

The merger seeks to achieve operational efficiencies by combining AIQ’s AI energy solutions with Presight’s cross-sector big data analytics capabilities and international market reach. 

AIQ, founded in 2020, provides AI solutions for the energy industry.

Presight debuted on the Abu Dhabi Securities Exchange in 2023.

The adoption of AI technologies is expected to bring significant growth opportunities in the energy market.

Earlier this year, Adnoc said it generated $500 million (AED1.84 billion) in extra value by using artificial intelligence solutions in 2023.

It used more than 30 AI tools across its value chain, from field operations to corporate decision-making, to increase efficiency and productivity.

The global oil and gas industry is witnessing a surge in AI investments, with their value expected to reach $3 billion by 2030, a compound annual growth rate of 17 percent, according to Fairfield Market Research in London.

Companies such as Saudi Aramco are actively embracing AI technologies, with the recent launch of the generative artificial intelligence model Metabrain AI.

Aramco, the world’s largest oil company, is using AI, data analytics, the internet of things and robotics to streamline processes and boost efficiency.

Latest articles

Investment app Sarwa had more than 180,000 registered users by the first quarter of 2023

Investment app Sarwa fined by Dubai and Abu Dhabi regulators

Investment platform Sarwa Digital Wealth has been fined AED1,151,000 ($313,500) by regulators in Dubai and Abu Dhabi for offering shares and securities without an approved prospectus. The Dubai Financial Services Authority (DFSA) said on Tuesday that it had imposed a penalty of AED701,815 on the fintech.  On the same day, the Financial Services Regulatory Authority […]

Turkey FAB Yapi Kredi

First Abu Dhabi Bank targets Turkish lender

One of Turkey’s largest corporations has confirmed it is in talks with First Abu Dhabi Bank (FAB) over the sale of a majority holding in the Istanbul-headquartered lender Yapı Kredi, the country’s fourth largest private bank in terms of assets.  A report by Reuters on May 21 said sources told it FAB was offering around […]

Bruno Le Maire said France was also ready to help the UAE develop its own nuclear power plants

France ‘open’ to UAE investing in its nuclear plants

The French government is open to the UAE investing in the country’s nuclear power sector, its economy minister has said. Bruno Le Maire spoke to journalists in Abu Dhabi ahead of talks with Sultan Al Jaber, the UAE minister of industry and advanced technology, and Khaldoon Al Mubarak, chief executive of investment fund Mubadala and […]

Dhahran is home to the King Abdulaziz Center for World Culture. Retal will build almost 2,000 homes in the city

Retal wins $770m contract to build in Dhahran

The Saudi builder Retal has signed a SAR2.9 billion ($770 million) contract to design and build nearly 2,000 residential units in Dhahran, Eastern Province, for the giga-project developer Roshn.  Retal “will develop and design the detailed master plan, design and execute the infrastructure, landscape, construct 1,962 residential units and public amenities building in Aldanah project,” […]