Skip to content Skip to Search
Skip navigation

Adnoc completes Shah gas field expansion

The project is expected to reduce water injection-related energy consumption by up to 30% at Adnoc's Bab and Bu Hasa oil and gas fields Adnoc
Ruwais refinery currently refines Abu Dhabi's flagship light sour grade Murban

Adnoc Sour Gas has finished the expansion of the Shah gas field, according to sources in a story by oil and gas publication MEES.

The gas field, close to the Saudi border, now has a capacity of 1.45 billion standard cubic feet of gas per day (cfd), making it one of the largest ultra-sour developments in the world

Adnoc Sour Gas is a joint venture between Adnoc and US-based Occidental Petroleum Corporation. Adnoc holds a 60 percent stake, while Occidental Petroleum has the remaining 40 percent.

Sour gas – commonly associated with oil and gas drilling – refers to any gas that contains significant amounts of hydrogen sulphide (which smells similar to that of rotten egg, hence the term “sour”).

According to Adnoc’s website, the Shah gas field includes gas processing facilities and a sulphur granulation plant that features four of the largest sulphur recovery units in the world.

Adnoc Sour Gas processes more than one billion cfd of ultra-sour gas from a single gas plant, it said, adding the company operates with an integrated single-field approach that covers upstream, midstream and downstream activities.

Italy’s Saipem was awarded a $510 million contract in 2021 to expand the facility from 1.3 billion cfd by mid-year, Mees reported.

In 2011, Occidental Petroleum won a contract to develop the Shah gas project in a deal expected to be worth $10 billion, Reuters reported citing sources.

Latest articles

UAE new cairo

UAE developer to build $2bn project in Egypt’s New Cairo

Egypt’s New Urban Communities Authority and the UAE’s UDC Real Estate Development Company have signed a contract to develop an EGP60 billion ($1.9 billion) urban development project in New Cairo. Named The Crest, the development in the Hadayek Al-Andalus area will be built on a plot spanning 665,000 sq m. It will comprise residential, commercial […]

Neom wellness Elanan

Neom announces ‘ultra-modern’ wellness resort

Saudi Arabia’s mega-city Neom has announced plans for another wellness resort on the Gulf of Aqaba.  The new site, Elanan, will be a wellness resort with architecture that uses “ultra-modern design techniques to form intricate sculptures that merge with the surrounding natural beauty,” Neom said on its website. The website shows images of a futuristic-looking […]

Muslim pilgrims pray on the Mount of Mercy outside the holy city of Mecca during the annual hajj pilgrimage in 2023

Saudi visas on arrival for European and US pilgrims

Saudi Arabia is offering visa on arrival for pilgrims who are resident in the EU, US and UK, or who possess a valid visa for those countries. The decision is part of efforts to boost religious tourism to the country.   The Saudi ministry of Hajj and Umrah revealed the new regulations for the Umrah pilgrimage […]

A view of the financial district in Bahrain's capital Manama. The kingdom's real estate remains more affordable than other Gulf states

Bahrain and UAE sign $4bn real estate deal

A UAE property investment and development company has signed a $4 billion deal to develop real estate across Bahrain. Abu Dhabi’s Eagle Hills International has finalised a joint cooperation agreement to set up Binaa Al-Bahrain, with a focus on residential, commercial and entertainment projects across the kingdom. The new company will work with Edamah, the […]